Monday, June 2, 2014

Postpartum Padsicles

I'm back.  Did you miss me?  I sure missed you and this blog.

I originally planned on taking a 3 month break, but I greatly miss-calculated how much of my time would be consumed by moving to a new state and having a baby. 

But we are more settled now so I figure it's time to jump back into my projects.

I saw a pin for these padsicles long before I even got pregnant.  This was my third pregnancy and the hospitals never give me enough of those cold pads that they have. And it doesn't help that they are MASSIVE.  I feel like I have a pillow in my pants. 

Postpartum Padsicles

You Will Need:
Aloe Vera
Witch Hazel
Lavender essential oil

Directions: 
Mix equal parts of aloe vera and witch hazel.  Add a few drops of lavender.  Spread a thin layer of the mixture onto a maxi pad.  Wrap the maxi pad up and place it in the freezer. 

I mixed everything up in a bowl and used 1 drop of lavender oil per tablespoon.  I added a bit more aloe vera to keep it a thick mixture, so it would be easier to spread.   I then opened up several pads and spread a layer of the mixture onto it. It was thick enough that I could see the mixture, but thin enough that it wouldn't clump. 


 I folded them back up in the same wrapper and put them in the freezer until I needed them.

The Verdict:  My first day home from the hospital I grabbed one of those babies right from the freezer and put it in my oh so attractive granny panties.

Within a few minutes I was in immense pain.  I think my sprint to the bathroom to get my pants off broke some records.

The best way I can describe it was a brain freeze on my butt.  Lesson learned, don't use the pads directly from the freezer.

I tried again, but this time I let the pad sit out for several minutes. When I put it in, awwwwwww sweet relief.

I LOVED these.  They were so soothing. They didn't stay cold very long, but the mixture on it was still very soothing. It could be coincidence, but my recovery was faster this time then my previous two pregnancy's. 

The only downside is that they were a bit messy.  Not horrible, but they did leave some residue when I changed them out. 

A little mess for immense relief?  Worth it!



2 comments: