Monday, September 2, 2013

DIY Chapstick

Hello, my name is The DIY Guinea Pig and I am a chapstick addict.  I'm not kidding, I am obsessed with chapstick and I'm always using it.  You know it's bad when, with no help at all, my 2 year old picked out chapstick for me for a present. 

 Homemade Lemon Lime Lip Balm
You Will Need:
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped beeswax
 5 drops lemon essential oil and 5 drops lime essential oil (substitute these for other essential oils if you wish)

Directions:
Pour the mixture into a double boiler. The lip balm mixture needs to melt slowly over low heat. Melt the ingredients over medium-high heat. Add color Add a chunk of your favorite lipstick, blush, or eye shadow color if you wish. Mix it in with a spoon.Pour the mixture into containers. Allow the mixture to cool completely. Use the balm and decide how you like the texture. If you want a firmer balm next time, use more beeswax. If you like it softer, use more oil. 

I got all my ingredients and used a food processes to break up the beesewax so it would be easier to use.



I don't have a double boiler so I used a glass measuring cup and put it in a pot.  It worked great and didn't leave any residue.  It took several minutes for everything to melt. I didn't want color so I skipped that part, and I didn't have lime essential oil so I just used lemon essential oil.


I poured some into an old chapstick tube and poured the rest into a small container.  I could probably fill 3 or 4 tubes with what I had.
The Verdict: I like it.  It's sort of a cross between lip balm and lip gloss.  I feel like I am getting the deep moisture of a chapstick with the shine of gloss.  A little goes a long way so it lasts for several months.  The only down side is that it can melt very easily, so you probably want to keep it in a cool place, unless you enjoy cleaning up grease stains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment