Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Castile Soap Laundry Detergent

According to this site, you should never combine Castile Soap and vinegar because "They will directly react with each other and cancel each other out. So, instead of getting the best of both, you’ll be getting the worst of something entirely new."

 When I saw a claim about how a laundry soap with Castile soap and vinegar was a great laundry detergent I was very skeptical, but had to try for myself.

#10 Powdered
You Will Need:
1 cup Vinegar (white)
1 cup Baking Soda
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup liquid castile soap


Directions: 
Mix well and store in sealed container. I find it easiest to pour the liquid soap into the bowl first, stirred in the washing soda, then baking soda, then added the vinegar in small batches at a time (the recipe foams up at first). The mixture is a thick paste at first that will break down into a heavy powdered detergent, just keep stirring. There may be some hard lumps, try to break them down when stirring (it really helps to make sure the baking soda isn’t clumpy when first adding). I used 1/2 cup per full load with great results.

I used peppermint Castile soap and mixed everything together. I stirred for about 10 minutes while the mixture went from a cottage cheese texture to a stiff powdery texture.

 I put it into a new container, sealed it tight and didn't use it until the next day. 

The Verdict: if you read the original directions, the person says, "There may be some hard lumps." What they call hard lumps, I call cement.  The mixture was rock solid.  I had to get a knife and small hammer to break off pieces to put in my washer.

 My clothes came out clean but I had to use about a cups worth (I say about because it was hard to measure the chunks)

So even though it worked, if you have to use a hammer with your laundry soap, it's not worth it. Time to try another one.


3 comments:

  1. Nice idea! Just try to free yourself of the tag when you have a dry cleaning service Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a laundry service, do not try to free yourself from the dye. The painting may also be modified or the paint may be discarded. Nevertheless, when the water is pumped into the cloth, blast not but brush. Normally, flushing water or soda is good!

    ReplyDelete