Thursday, September 6, 2012

DIY Lotion

I'm not a big lotion person, probably because I live in the mid-west with lots of humidity so I don't need it that often. I do use it enough though that I decided to try a home made version.

I found this recipe
http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/how-to-make-an-easy-beeswax-lotion/

1 c. olive oil
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/2 c. beeswax
20 drops essential oil

and decided to go for it.  I found the beeswax at Micheal's for a reasonable price and got to work.

First of all, I made the mistake of buying the beeswax in a bar and not little granules. I spent an insane about of time trying to cut up the thing, then even more time trying to pick up all the blasted little pieces that covered the kitchen due to the Texas chainsaw moment I had when I got frustrated with the thing.

After finally getting all the ingredients together I started the melting process. Then waited, and waited, aaaaaand waited.  FINALLY. It was all done and ready to cool.  It cooled off and instead of having a nice creamy lotion, I had a chunky blob. 




The Verdict: No thank you. This is way to frustrating and time consuming, plus extremely greasy.  Check out the shine on my hand. Whenever I use it I can't touch anything for about 30 min. I would say that it could be used a good overnight cream for deep conditioning for the skin, but it doesn't breath.  I never knew this would be an issue with lotion, but I feel like it clogs my pores and my skin can't breath.  However, I made this lotion about a year ago and it still looks the same so it keeps very well.  

2 comments:

  1. DIY Guinea Pig! Love it!! You are way more ambitious than me! What else do you DIY? I was expecting this to be all of your building projects, so I was surprised to see lotion!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it would work on dry feet inside socks at night. It can't be work than straight vaseline, right?

    ReplyDelete